Friday, April 4, 2014

Family Reactions to the Natural Infant Hygiene Method - Husband and Father


I love my husband so much. I know he thinks I'm nuts for some of my ideas about ... well everything from food to child rearing, but he always listens and gives my thoughts a fair chance.

He listened to all I had to say about the process, why it works, where people use it and what the techniques and challenges would be. He asked follow-up questions and everything!

I think he is most attracted to the idea that it has the potential to save a lot of money. I looked online briefly for an estimate on what diapers cost per year. I found anything from $600 to $1000. The higher end of the range included the cost of wipes as well. Plus we could add ointments, powders, special trash bags and everything else.

There are a lot of better places that money could go than in the trash can, literally. His exact reaction:

Its worth a try.

He didn't mean it to be discouraging or intend for me to feel like I can't do it. He really meant that even if it doesn't work then we've lost nothing, but if it does then we will have saved a lot of money and hassle. 

He understands that it isn't expected to be a miracle right at first, but likes the idea that most babies who use Elimination Communication are pretty much potty trained before their diapered counterparts even start relearning to control their sphincter muscles.

I don't know to what extent he will try it himself. He works more than 40 hours a week so it will be a challenge for him to learn the cues and such. But, what dad doesn't love the idea of going outside and teaching his son to pee on a tree? He could be having that bonding experience in just a few months instead of years. Awww.

I'm really grateful that my husband is supportive of this. I think it would be really difficult to do if he didn't at least accept it. 

Any guys out there have thoughts on the subject of Dads and Elimination Communication? Any moms have husbands who aren't as in to Natural Infant Hygiene as you are? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment